Dr. Rafael Mercado is a graduate of Marquette University where he received a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Psychology. He received his D.D.S degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School in San Antonio. His dental career has included both group practice and private dental offices.
He continues his education by taking numerous continuing education courses in his areas of interest. Implants, Orthodontics, 3-D Imaging, and CAD-CAM dentistry. Dr. Mercado like to use the latest technology in his office to exceed patient’s expectations.
Dr. Mercado is married with children and he volunteers in School as well as in sport activities for his children. He enjoys playing golf, fishing, and home improvement projects.
Dr. Mercado is a general and family dentist offering the full spectrum of dental services, including Restorative, Pediatric, Endodontics, Periodontics, Oral Surgery, Orthodontics, Prosthodontics, Laser Dentistry, Sleep Medicine, and Implant Dentistry.
Dr. Mercado is a member of the American Dental Association, Texas Dental Association, San Antonio District Dental Association, Academy of General Dentistry, Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, American Academy of Implant Dentistry and International Association for Orthodontics.
- 1993: DDS University of Texas Health Science Center Dental School San Antonio, Texas
- 1988- BA Marquette University Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Dr. Mercado has also received:
- Implant training at UTHSC at San Antonio (1992-1993)
- Orthodontic Training in Straight wire and functional appliances from Dr. Rondeau (2001-2002)
- Training in Sleep Medicine/Obstructive Sleep Apnea with an Oral Appliance from Dr. Roubal (Nov 2012)
- Laser treatment training with Ivoclar Vivodent (Feb 2012)
- Continuing education courses in Endodontics, Implants, Bone Grafting, Veneers, Conscious Sedation, Orthodontics, Office Management, Cosmetic Dentistry, Invisalign, Cerec, Galileo's 3D Imaging, Sleep Dentistry
- March 2005 – Present – Started as Basse Family Dental & Orthodontics relocated and renamed practice to Castle Hills Family Dental in 2014 - General Dentistry- private practice
- July 2004 - 2017- South Texas Dental - Associate Dentist - General Dentistry, pediatrics, orthodontics, and implants
- October 2001 - June 2004 - Commerce St Family Dental Center - Associate Dentist - General Dentistry, pediatrics, orthodontics, and implants
- December 1999 - October 2001 - Castle Dental Center - Associate Dentist - General Dentistry, and implants
- September 1997 - December 1999 - Windsor Park Family Dental Center - Associate Dentist - General Dentistry, and implants
- September 1995 - September 1997 - Dr. Frank Santos Jr. Dental Office - Associate Dentist - General Dentistry
- July 1993 - September 1995 - Lee Dental Centers - Associate Dentist - General Dentistry