Misaligned teeth can lead to difficulty chewing, increased risk for cavities, excessive wear, and jaw pain. Patients that undergo orthodontic treatment can benefit from straighter, more attractive teeth.
There are multiple factors to consider when deciding between Invisalign® or traditional braces for your orthodontic treatment. Here, Dr. Rafael Mercado explains the pros and cons of Invisalign vs. braces. To find out if you are a candidate for these treatments, contact our Castle Hills, TX practice.
Benefits of Invisalign
We offer Invisalign and ClearCorrect® aligner trays. The main benefit of these clear trays is that they are discreet. Most people will not notice that you are wearing them.
Other benefits of clear aligner trays include:
- Less dietary restrictions: Because you can remove the trays while eating, you can still enjoy certain foods that are off-limits when wearing braces.
- Photo-friendly appearance: If you are worried about braces appearing in your yearbook photo or vacation selfie, you can remove the aligner trays while taking photos.
- Ease of cleaning: The aligner trays are easy to clean. Once removed, your teeth are equally easy to clean and do not require the special cleaning devices that braces require.
- Shorter dental visits: Invisalign and ClearCorrect require periodic visits to the dentist, but there are no lengthy, wire-tightening steps involved.
- Shorter treatment period: Total timelines will vary from patient to patient. In general, Invisalign and ClearCorrect treatments last several months to a little more than a year.
- Safer for athletes: Patients who play contact sports are at increased risk of damaging their lips or gums because of the metal components employed by traditional braces. If you use aligner trays, the trays can be safely left in or removed to make room for a mouth guard.
Benefits of Braces
Braces may be ideal for patients who do want to keep track of aligners or may fail to wear them for the recommended amount of time. Invisalign requires patients to wear the trays for 22 hours a day. Teenagers are particularly at risk for failure to adhere to the 22-hour rule.
Patients who have large gaps, severely crooked teeth, or complex bite issues benefit from braces. At our practice, we also offer clear brackets, which are less visible than traditional braces.
Which Treatment Is Right for Me?
When discussing which cosmetic treatment is right for you, Dr. Mercado will examine the extent of cosmetic work needed, your age, your budget, and other factors before recommending braces, Invisalign, or ClearCorrect. Your input and goals will be key too because many patients are good candidates for both treatment options.
Considering the benefits of both of these treatments, think about which one will fit your lifestyle, budget, and dental needs. If you have concerns about affordability, our team can go over available financing options with you during this visit, such as CareCredit® or LendingClub®.
Contact Our Office Today
Orthodontic treatment should be an exciting time in your life. Having braces placed or beginning Invisalign treatment means that you are on the path toward a more attractive smile. If you have questions about Invisalign vs. braces, contact our office online or call (210) 732-4570.